Sunday, May 30, 2010

Flying out

We decided to go to Vegas and spend the night before flying out. The reason for this is that we were able to get a room at the airport Fairfield Inn for $40 and they allowed us to leave our car there for free and shuttled us to the airport and will pick up us for free. Parking at the economy parking by the airport was $8 a day so it would have been $96 for the time we were gone. Another reason was our flight was at 6:30am so this made it so we could sleep in a little.

I learned that I don't have a high tolerance for caffeine. After checking in we got dinner and brought it back to the room and watched a movie and ate; we got diet cokes. I don't drink coke very often and never at night but I got it because Tam wanted that and it was easy to just say, "two diet cokes." Anyway, they were large and we ate and Tam went to sleep and I stayed up until 2am. So, I got two hours sleep before the flight.

After clearing security at the airport we had about an hour wait till our flight left. At 6:30 we still hadn't boarded so I started looking around and noticed a line at the gate desk. I went to see what was up and then noticed the board now said "8:30am" instead of "on time." The delayed flight would have caused us to miss our connection in SLC so Delta switched us to American Airlines and we got on at about 7:30am and flew to Dallas. Our layover in Dallas was 5 hours but I got it switched to 3:00 and so it wasn't too bad. We arrived in San Antonio a little late but because I asked about compensation for the inconvenience Delta gave us each $50 toward our next ticket.

We rented a car in San Antonio and drove to Austin. We went down to 6th street last night but decided not to walk it as the crown has changed quite a bit in 20+ years and it and the music were not quite as appealing. We found a good sushi place and really enjoyed dinner. As soon as we got back to the motel I crashed.

No comments: